My potager garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö, Resarö is situated in the inner part of the archipelago outside of Stockholm. Tyra´s Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination.
Tyra's Garden is a small garden on the island of Resarö situated in the inner part of the archipelago near the small town Vaxholm, outside Stockholm. Tyra's Garden is mostly an ornamental vegetable garden, my potager. But flowers are of course an important ingredience, for beauty and pollination. The climate in these parts is quite demanding as the northerly winds can be strong and cold. THIS BLOG 'Tyra's Garden' is not entirely a gardenblog it contains much more. About me: Enthusiastic amateur gardener and photographer from Vaxholm, Sweden. Designed and built my Greenhouse and Potager in Tyra's Garden 2003. Love the outdoor life, gardening and sailing especially. View my profile

Wednesday

D.I.Y. Paper Pots for your Seedlings

This post "D.I.Y Paper pots for your seedlings" was originally uploaded by  Tyra Hallsénius Lindhe in the blog 
Tyra's Garden - A Kitchen Garden Trädgård




Paper pots



Paper pots are convenient to have at hand now when it is time to sow all the seeds for the growing season 2013. When all your recycled plastic pots are used, these little pots are easy to make and very cheap as well. In the pictures below, I show how I make them. Most people use old newspaper but I do not like to work with them at all, it feels like there are too much chemicals in the newspapers these days. I used the local newspaper the year before last and nearly all my tomato plants died and that was not enough… I got eczema on his hands! I think it was the paper that did it, but it could have been the sowing compost, because I do remember that it was just too wet.  Beware of old seed compost that hasn’t been properly stored during the winter.




This is what you need:

A pot-maker and paper of your choice
Perhaps you also need an water resistant pen if you would like to write something the pots.


That's it folks!





This is how I do it: 


Cut a piece of paper 24 x 30cm paper and fold it in half

Roll it around the wooden pot-maker

Fold in the remaining paper at the bottom

 Push the wooden bottom part of the pot-maker against the paper bottom




Now you can write with a "water-proof" pen the name of the plant that you are going to sow. It does of course disappear when you plant it into the soil...and so does the whole little pot. If you need the name through the entire growing season you maybe better use a proper name-tag.




Done, now it is time for me to continue my Valentine-sowing-fiesta. Now what is that? - you ask. Well I start with all my sowing on the 14th of February and that is the Valentine's Day. So fare I have planted loads of chilies, some artichokes and a great number of different basils. More about that later on...






You are most welcome to - Follow me and like my page on FACEBOOK - Tyra's Garden A Kitchen Garden


 That is all folks!/ Tyra


Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Funny that you are posting about paper pots now, I just got my wooden pot maker out this morning to start some sugar snap peas. I use strips of newspaper for my pots. Good luck with the seed starting!

Louise said...

Har tittat på det där förr! Ser väldigt fint och miljövänligt ut! Har lovat mig själv att inte så en massa i år...vi får väl se!

louise